Where to Find Me

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Day 14: Yours Truly - My Love For Halloween

    I have always loved Halloween. Halloween was the time where I got to dress up as a vampire, and get the candy. When my brother and I were little, we lived in the country (we still do), and the kids in the same area would meet up at this barn and the guy who owned it turned a trailer into a hayride, and pulled it with the tractor. There were so many people, and we would have hot chocolate, and be pulled around to different houses that were tricked out for the night. There would be haunted houses, and a few old ladies would invite us in for a snack, and we would go on for another couple of hours.
     That was how I celebrated Halloween every year until I hit my teens. After that, it was about the books, the movies, and curling up with popcorn and a bucket of candy, and scare the poop out of ourselves. We still do lol.
     I have always loved Halloween. Whether it was the movies, the atmosphere, even the books. My husband does the movies (Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride, The Exorcist, etc), me, I am into the books.
     When I started reading the chapter books, it was automatically the R.L. Stine books, when  I grew out of those, I went onto his high school murder series. I was never interested in the books the girls my age liked (The Babysitters Club, Judy Blume, etc), I wanted mystery, suspense.
     In High School, I had a librarian who would introduce to me to more horror. Then, I started loving the Stephen King books, along with Anne Rice (I actually watched Interview With the Vampire, when it first came out in my preteens, my parents would not let me, but I snuck a chance hahahaha), Edgar Allen Poe, and much more. That is when I kinda realized I had a thing for the supernatural. The Paranormal. I collect fairies, blood, witchy stuff, etc. Anything whimsical and gothic. I lived these books. I related to the characters. Now that I am married, and have a family (more adult), the more kinkier, the bloodier, the better.
     I have a very wide collection. I have vampires, werewolves, fairies (good and bad, the beautiful and the ones that will give you nightmares), witches and warlocks, demons, zombies, you name it, I got it hahahaha.
     My most cherished one is Jacob by Jaquelin Frank. He is the bad boy that even 50s housewives dream about. He is a bounty hunter for other demons, falls in love with a human girl, has earth-shattering sex, along with so much power. Then to switch it up, I have the Anita Blake series that brings on the blood and gore, violence, sex, love, but sometimes I want to smack the boys because they can be straight up girls.
     What about the classics like Frankenstein? Not a lot of people would remember the story. But they would remember the monster and how he was created, but not a lot of people realize that it is also a love story. Not that type of love, it is the love to be accepted. Bringing on anger and revenge. Then there is Dracula, which is another love story. A love between two people who were separated between two different lives. The dead, and the living, the feeling of never giving up hope on lost love. Also, there is Wuthering Heights. A tale between two people who grew up together, separated between lifestyles, but lifelong loves who never got a chance to be together, haunted with the present.
     I really do wish that I kept those books that I have read over the years as a child, preteen, and teenager, with how much love my daughter has for Halloween, I know that she would have the same love for the paranormal.
     I have such a love for the paranormal, that I wanted to create this blog to celebrate this genre of books. And what better chance to really celebrate it than the month itself?



**Note: There is a HUGE giveaway at the end of the month after Halloween!!! To enter for the giveaway, comment on the blogs. The more you comment, the bigger chance you have at winning!!! There will only be 1 winner, and the winner will be announced 1st week of November!!! Good Luck!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love all of the books that you've mentioned. I actually still have a tone of the Goosebumps, R.L. Stine Fear Street, Scream and of course the whole Vampire Chronicles by Ann Rice and the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton... I just can't seem to get enough of them!!!

    ReplyDelete