Where to Find Me

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Oscar Wilde


Oscar Wilde (1854-1900). The author of The Picture of Dorian Gray (published in 1891).
Characters Basil (not pronounced like the herb) and Lord Henry are attracted to Dorian because of his beauty.
And Sibyl who pretty much had Dorian's heart.
He has his portrait painted in the beginning of the story, and with this painting, he never ages.
When he realized he was lonely because his friends were aging and dying and he was still beautiful and young, he became angry. I won't tell you the ending.
I don't remember a lot on this story, because even though it was a good story, it was long. lol. It took me forever to read it.
If you've watched League of Extraordinary Gentleman, it has some qualities of the book, he is handsome, he is young, but the only difference is the ending on Dorian's life in the movie and in the book.
I was very disappointed in the ending. lol. I got to the end, read it, closed it, looked at my husband and literally said :"That's it? No POOF?" lol
With the way the book was magicially, I thought it would end the same way, and not simple.
Some people might of found it a really good ending, some people might of thought it was a good book all together, there might even be some that thought that after reading it the 1st time, they will never pick it up again.
But, honestly? I would so pick it up again. It's one of those books that you know that even when you didn't get it the first time, the 2nd time you read it, you will have better understanding on it and realize there are some parts that you never noticed because you spaced out hahahaha.
I do recommend this book. I'm not hating against it. I'm going to give it another chance. Every time I look at my bookshelf in the living room with all my classic books and ginormous books, I keep telling it, some other time, when I have the patience lol. You have to actually sit down and read it.

Off the topic, here are some updates on my current reading and a wonderful surprise that I got last night:
Just finished Michelle Bardsley's "I'm the Vampire, That's Why". The first book of the Broken Heart series. lol. yeah, I made the mistake of reading book 5 first, and not even realize it until I read book 4, went to Barnes & Noble to get more, and realized, I've been reading it all wrong hahahha. I was lost a few times, now I know why. But I absolutely love the series so far. Half way done considering I have 6 books of the series and read 3. Totally recommend it. When I finish the the last book, I will definitely put a post on it.
Second? I am very honored to say that MaryJanice Davidson commented on my blog "OH MY GOSH!!!". The blog was all about her Undead Series.

Ok, off to read book #2 of the Broken Heart series.
I will post about another classic tomorrow. And by far, I think it's the best classic book I have (and I have many)

Good readings to you :)


No comments:

Post a Comment